Re: differenece in DOS SQL*Plus vs. GUI?

From: Paul Murphy <pmurphy3_at_twcny.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 01:59:30 GMT

Paul Murphy wrote:
> I was working on an Oracle 8i database on Windows 2000. Remote clients
> (SQL*Plus and TOAD) can connect fine to all the databases on the
> machine. On the db server itself, I can connect to any of the databases
> using the management console (DBA Studio). I can also use a SET
> LOCAL=database command then start SQL*PLus from a command line and
> connect to any of the databases. Here's the weird part. When I use the
> GUI version of SQL*Plus I can't connect to any of the databases. I
> created a TNS_ADMIN environment variable and set it to the correct
> TNSNAMES.ORA file that works fine on all the remote computers. I tried
> modifying the host name to localhost in the TNSNAMES.ORA file...nothing
> worked. Any ideas? Thanks! -Paul Murphy

Well, I figured it out. Much simpler than I thought it would be. The shortcut to SQL*Plus was pointed at the executable that someone installed with Forms 6i (8.0.6, I think). As soon as I pointed the shortcut at the 8.1.7 version of SQL*Plus, all the connections worked fine. Lesson learned.

Paul Murphy Received on Thu Oct 09 2003 - 20:59:30 CDT