Problems with Forms 6i on XP

From: Jeremy Beal <thejbeal_at_netscape.net>
Date: 9 Oct 2003 14:20:24 -0700

Greetings.

We're having some issues trying to support a client who desires to run our existing client/server Forms application from a Windows XP client.

The application has been stable built with Forms Developer 6i running as a client on Windows NT and Windows 2000. However, when run on XP using the Forms Developer runtime 6i specified as compatible with XP, we get erratic unexpected behavior from the Forms client.

When downloading the Forms 6i Developer installation, there is a page indicating that the installation "plus patchset 13" is required for certified XP operation. (HTML from their page http://otn.oracle.com/software/products/forms/index.html follows):

   FACE="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Release 2 for Windows 98/NT/2000/XP</font></a>

      13-FEB-03 (this version + patch 13 required for XP install).</font></td>

However, when you click through the link, you are presented with a page with only a single download link for the Forms Developer file:

Oracle9iAS Forms Services and
Oracle Forms Developer 6i Release 2 for 95/98/NT/2000/XP

   Download the Complete File
    6i_rel2_xp.zip (270,162,711 bytes)    Directions
    Download the self-extracting .exe file and execute in an empty directory.

    Run Setup.exe

If anybody is familiar with the situation, I have a few questions:

  1. Is there a separate download for patch 13 or has it now been included in the main 6i_rel2_xp.zip file?
  2. If there is a separate download for the patch 13, where can I find it on Oracle's site?
  3. If I really do have the latest and greatest runtime that should work with XP, do you have any ideas why a stable existing app would have erratic behavior within this runtime? I would think if Oracle is certifying the runtime that existing apps should work fine without modification - ?

Thanks sincerely for any help,

Jeremy Beal Received on Thu Oct 09 2003 - 16:20:24 CDT