Re: How to Get User Environment in Sqlplus?

From: Tiglath <tiglath_at_tiglath.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 11:00:42 -0700

  "Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1065111084.818203_at_yasure...   Tiglath wrote:

"Eric Parker" <eric.parkerthedross_at_virgin.net> wrote in message news:ScSeb.4895$QH3.2409_at_newsfep4-winn.server.ntli.net...   "Tiglath" <tiglath_at_tiglath.net> wrote in message news:blf9ho$q0e$1_at_bob.news.rcn.net...

    I run Oracle 8.1.7.2 on in AIX 4..3.3.

When I run sqlplus and use ! or host to spawn a shell and execute an AIX command my environment and aliases don't seem to be present.

How can incorporate the user environment to AIX commands run from

      sqlplus?
  Thanks.

      Tiglath

Are they there if you spawn a shell directly, independent of sqlplus ?

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, all the aliases in .kshrc are present when I spawn a new ksh outside sqlplus, but missing within sqlplus.

> Why would you expect it to be otherwise?

  1. Because the user having the problem reports that such was the standard behaviour until somehow it stop working.
  2. Because it is the intelligent thing to do. If you exec the ksh it certainly doesn't bring the environment, but the exec system call has plenty of provisions for doing so.

  Why would you expect that it is sensible to disconnect from the environment when you use the shell from within sqlplus?

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
(replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)