Re: database size statistic (worldwide)

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 08:52:29 -0700

Vadim Grepan wrote:

> Hello All!
>
> I'm looking for database size statistic for different RDBMS. I mean
> the biggest like Oracle/DB2/Teradata of corse
>
> The most desirable result can be following: if every RDBMS considers
> separately and takes all installations as 100%, it's interesting to
> know how many instances work with databases up to 500Gb, up to 1Tb
> and so on
>
> Smth like that:
> Oracle: up to 500Gb - x%, 500Gb..5Tb - y%, >5Tb - z%
> DB2: up to 500Gb - xx%, 500Gb..5Tb - yy%, >5Tb - zz%

Someone has undoubtedly published the numbers somewhere ... but they will be highly inaccurate for many reasons. First and most obviously by the fact that vendors don't license by database size so they really don't know. Second because companies and government organizations often consider such information proprietary and either refuse to give it out or just make things up to impress their audience.

My database? Heck I've got ten bazillion gazigabytes. And that's just in DEV.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu