Error Message 01461: can bind a LONG value only for insert into a LONG column

From: Richard Crawford <rcrawford.cow_at_remove_herbivore.unexmail.ucdavis.edu>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 14:47:02 -0700

I have come to understand that Oracle hates me with a passion bordering on the psychotic. What I don't understand is why.

The neverending quest to migrate from MS-SQL Server to Oracle has been dealt another blow. One of the tables I have in the SS7 database has three fields defined as TEXT. At first I tried to migrate these to CLOB fields in Oracle, but that failed for no reason I could figure out. I decided that since none of the fields in this table had more than 4000 characters, I would migrate them from TEXT to VARCHAR2(4000).

When I tried exporting data from SS7 to Oracle this time, I get the following error:

Ora-01461: can bind a LONG value only for insert into a LONG column

which makes no sense at all to me because there no columns of type LONG.

What am I doing wrong? I have Googled until my fingers bleed to no avail. I have double-checked my /etc/system file and it is fine.

The system is question is ORacle 9i on a Solaris 9 box. Received on Tue Oct 07 2003 - 16:47:02 CDT