Re: Simple Q re schemas and users

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 19:48:49 -0700

Chris O wrote:

>"Holger Peine" <peine_at_iese.fraunhofer.de.this-is-junk> wrote in message
>

>>Hello everyone,
>>
>>you will see from my question that I'm not an Oracle expert.
>>
>>How can I make many DB users access the same set of tables
>>without qualifying each access with the name of the schema
>>containing the tables?
>>
>>I have one user MASTER which creates all the tables (thus all tables
>>end up in the MASTER schema), and many other users (some of them
>>created later at run-time) accessing the tables (sometimes via DML
>>statements, sometimes via stored procedures). The users maintain no
>>other data besides that in the MASTER schema's tables, i.e. there
>>are no tables in all those user schemas. The users need to prefix
>>the table names, like MASTER.sometable. I feel that this is not the proper
>>way to do that, but what is the recommended way?
>>
>>Should I create a public synonym (or one private synonym in each user
>>schema) for every table name?
>>
>>Is it possible to create the other users in the MASTER schema in the first
>>place (which might create security problems - would GRANTs still provide
>>protection within one common schema?)?
>>
>>- And one more related question about packages: Do packages exist within
>>a schema or besides the schemas? I.e. does the package_name.package_member
>>access syntax have to be prefixed with a schema name when used from
>>another schema?
>>
>>Thanks for your help,
>>
>>--
>>Dr. Holger Peine
>>Fraunhofer IESE, Kaiserslautern, Germany
>>Phone +49-6301-707-134, Fax -209 (shared)
>>www.iese.fraunhofer.de/Staff/peine -- PGP key on request or via
>>

>pgp.mit.edu
>

>Hi All. I'll add my 1/2 cents worth...
>
>The answers by Daniel, Ed and Pete only partly answer this question. It
>always seems that no one wants to give a definitive answer to this question.
>Is this because there is no definitive answer?

There are no definitive answers. And much of what you posted is speculations not facts. Have you ever put together a loop and benchmarked using a private synonym vs a public synonym? Or considered the security
implications of public synonyms which has nothing to do with performance?

BTW: If you don't know whether something works ... why are you suggesting it?

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu