Re: Simple Q re schemas and users

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 08:39:23 -0700

Holger Peine wrote:

>Hello everyone,
>
>you will see from my question that I'm not an Oracle expert.
>
>How can I make many DB users access the same set of tables
>without qualifying each access with the name of the schema
>containing the tables?
>
>I have one user MASTER which creates all the tables (thus all tables
>end up in the MASTER schema), and many other users (some of them
>created later at run-time) accessing the tables (sometimes via DML
>statements, sometimes via stored procedures). The users maintain no
>other data besides that in the MASTER schema's tables, i.e. there
>are no tables in all those user schemas. The users need to prefix
>the table names, like MASTER.sometable. I feel that this is not the proper
>way to do that, but what is the recommended way?
>
>Should I create a public synonym (or one private synonym in each user
>schema) for every table name?
>
>Is it possible to create the other users in the MASTER schema in the first
>place (which might create security problems - would GRANTs still provide
>protection within one common schema?)?
>
>- And one more related question about packages: Do packages exist within
>a schema or besides the schemas? I.e. does the package_name.package_member
>access syntax have to be prefixed with a schema name when used from
>another schema?
>
>Thanks for your help,

Create private synonyms if security is a major concern Pubic synonyms if not.

Everything in Oracle MUST exist within a schema and rights to access it must be granted either explicitly
or through roles. The type of object does not affect anything in Oracle.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu