Re: differenece in DOS SQL*Plus vs. GUI?

From: Paul Murphy <pmurphy3_at_twcny.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 23:21:01 GMT

> How are you attempting to connect?
> Are you using the
> user.pass_at_tnsnameentry
>
> What error do you get?

I'm filling in the 3 fields in the SQL*Plus windows dialog box: user name, password, host string (such as system, mypass, mydbname). I've done this several hundred times on multiple Windows 2000 servers running Oracle 8i and 9i with no problems. The error is ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name. This is the same error you'd get if you type the host string wrong. Here's what I'm really getting at:

If DBA Studio and the DOS version of SQL*Plus (running locally on the db server) can resolve the host string and connect, why can't the windows version of SQL*Plus (running locally on the database server) when remote users can connect using the windows version of SQL*Plus using the same system, mypass, mydbname.

The bottom line is: What is different about what the Windows version of SQL*Plus looks at to connect to a database running on the local machine as compared to DBA Studio and the DOS version of SQL*Plus?

Another clue might be that a few of the remote users had to rename their sqlnet.ora files to another name before SQL*Plus would look at the tnsames.ora file and connect.

Thanks for any advice...I hope I'm not the only one who has had this type of problem and that someone will have a few things for me to look at.

So far, I've reset the hostname to localhost, to the fully qualified active directory name, to the IP address of the machine...nothing worked. I set a TNS_ADMIN environment variable to the exact path of the tnsnames.ora file. I've looked at the listner.ora file and that looks fine (plus people can connect fine remotely, so that's probably not the issue). Thanks again. -Paul Murphy Received on Mon Oct 06 2003 - 18:21:01 CDT