Re: sql plus error - usage message

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 16:40:40 -0700

Hans Forbrich wrote:

>Daniel Morgan wrote:
>

>>Over the years I've seen a lot of people trying to kludge things
>>together using shell scripting, etc. and my
>>response is that it is the wrong tool for the job.
>>
>>Consider how easy what you are trying to do would be using DBMS_JOB.
>>Full error handling would be
>>a breeze as well as only needing to deal with a single language making
>>long-term maintenance easier. Consider
>>using your shell script to execute a stored procedure: Same thing. And
>>done properly it becomes prortable
>>between host shells and operating systems something code such as your
>>can never be.
>>
>>I know Korn and Perl are nice tools with great capabilities. But
>>updating records that could be better done
>>in SQL and/or PL/SQL is just not one of those things. (let the religious
>>war begin).
>>

><soapbox mode=on>
>
>But why would anyone want to utilize the full extent & capability of their
>license? It's so much more fun and cost defective for an organization to a)
>not becoime acquiainted with the tool they have purchased, b) not provide
>adequate training and c) reinvent the wheel and perform onging related
>maintenance. After all, if one actually used the Oracle product to it's
>full scope organizations would not have [as much] reason to whine about the
>cost of the licenses.
>
></soapbox>
>
>If all you have is a hammer ....

Unfortunately much of the blame for this falls on the people in Oracle's marketing that find all the time in the world to rename products ... SQL*Forms to Forms to Developer to Developer/2000 to Developer Suite to Internet
Developer Suite ... but can't find the time to market Oracle as more than a one product company selling columns and rows on steroids.

I asked a class this week to name an Oracle product ... they named the database. I asked them to name another ... two people had heard of Oracle Financials. You don't want to guess how many had ever heard of Spatial, Text,
XML, and all the other things their company spent money on. They are totally clueless. And Oracle Ed. still doesn't know enough about the product to educate students 1/10th as well as we do at the university.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu