Re: Ugh! .pdf's require Winblows!

From: bgeer <bgeer_at_xmission.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 20:37:53 +0000 (UTC)

"Niall Litchfield" <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> writes:

>"bgeer" <bgeer_at_xmission.com> wrote in message
>> "Niall Litchfield" <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> writes:
>>
>> What's "dubious" about Oracle endorsed classes? Given that the Intro to
>> SQL & DBA Fund I .pdf's worked just fine in older Adobe & xpdf, what
>> "keys to the kingdom" are they trying to protect by making the DBA
>> Fund II docs unreadable except on a Winblows machine? Doesn't make
>> any more sense than your "dubious circumstances" comment.--

>Maybe I misread you. I was noting that you said that the PDF's were marked

>"Each page has
>"Oracle Internal & OAI Use Only" watermarked on each page" and that they
>were "loaned" to you which suggests to me that they are not intended as take
>home materials. Obviously if they are intended as a take home from the class
>and there is nothing in the open source world that will read version 5 or 6
>.pdfs then fair comment.

The .pdf's were supplied to us for the duration of the class, a typical US autumn semester of 4 months, with no restriction on where we read them. The restriction, hence my use of "loaned", is that we do not allow anyone to copy the .pdf's. The Oracle Academic Initiative is a program designed to give students access to Oracle training without a huge price. It's a good program, I have a great instructor, & I comply with that restriction.

The .pdf's for my previous Oracle classes worked fine - it's this one set that presents the problem. It's frustrating to be presented with a long download delay (I have a modem Internet connection) while I download the 10-15 megabytes of acroreader, when I'd rather be studying. Or to have Windows acroreader refuse to install simply because I don't have IE6, which Microsoft lists as 11-75 megabytes to download. It presents an unnecessary barrier to just get on with things.

Perhaps this set of .pdf's is an anomoly - I'd hate to think that every next Oracle document I encounter requires yet another download of some kind to access it.

--
<> Robert Geer & Donna Tomky | 	  ||||      We sure       ||||    <>
<>    bgeer_at_xmission.com     | 	==    ==    find it     ==    ==  <>