Re: Installing Oracle 9i on Solaris 9

From: Greg Jewell <nobody_at_nowhere.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 14:13:27 -0600

"KevJohnP" <nospam_at_nowhere.com> wrote in message news:21beb.163444$JA5.4028158_at_news.xtra.co.nz...
> OK, last go :)
>
> We just had to install 9iAS release 1 on a headless HP box, so used
> Cygwin / XFree again and did have one small issue which I hadn't noticed
> before (because we have only just started using Discoverer). The
> Discoverer part of the 9iAS install uses the old Oracle installer and
> silently dies at this point. There is a known problem on Metalink
> relating to colour depth on the X Server being too high, a lo and behold
> setting the colour depth to 8 bit resolved this.
>
> So my final suggestion (before giving up) would be to try setting the
> colour depth to 8 rather than 16.

I get the same results when changing the colour depth to 8. I think that there is more to this than just the Oracle installer, though. When I try to change the font path on the Solaris server, I always get the following error:

xset: bad font path element (#58), possible causes are:

    Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions     Directory missing fonts.dir
    Incorrect font server address or syntax

When I run Hummingbird Exceed, I don't get this error -- only when running XFree86. I'm going to check other groups to see if other people have encountered this problem as well.

Greg Received on Tue Sep 30 2003 - 15:13:27 CDT