Re: Oracle - CR : "Blob field or memo field cannot be used in a formula."

From: Turkbear <john.g_at_dot.spamfree.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 11:51:21 -0500

"Uma Muthu" <Mail_at_NoCoolSpamBlue.com> wrote:

>Crystal reports won't allow me to do anything with that field,
>i.e., I can place it on the report, but can't create
>a formula to suppress it if it's a particular value.
>
>The error message I receive is:
>
>"Blob field or memo field cannot be used in a formula."
>
>This database field is CLOB.
>
>Any help would be grateful....
>
>FYR: Oracle 9.2 - Crytal Report 8.5
>
>Thanks in Advance,
>Uma

CR ( and, IIRC, Oracle's SqlPLus for that matter ) cannot 'test' the contents of a CLOB field to see if it meets the criteria specified in the formula or where clause..

CLOBS ( and BLOBS ) need special handling ( using the DBMS_LOB package) so you could create a stored procedure that handles the selection and return a REFCURSOR with the records that meet the criteria..CR can use that SP as a basis for a report.

hth, Received on Tue Sep 30 2003 - 11:51:21 CDT