Re: Why Not Allow Temp Tables?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 20:01:12 -0700

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:

>RE/
>

>>The reasons are as follows:
>>
>>1. Kills performance and scalability
>>2. The privileges to create objects do not belong in a production schema
>>except during brief periods when it is being built or modified
>>under the direct supervision of the DBA.
>>3. Completely unncessary so no reason to do it.
>>

>I'm not trying to be difficult - I'm taking everything that's been said to
>heart...but I'd also like to be able to argue the point with somebody who tells
>me they want to use Temp tables.
>
>#1 makes sense - but it would be good to have a little insight into why.
>
>#2 sounds like argument by assertion - but that's probably because I don't know
>diddley.... Something about objects being created/destroyed impacting
>performance would be my first guess.
>
>#3, I'm guessing, is because of the availablity of global temp tables. True?
>PeteCresswell

Your guesses are all wrong. And much as I'd like to help you what you are asking for is a three hour lecture on the optimizer, serialization, security architecturem and a variety of other topics. If you are really interested in the subject you should take an advanced Oracle class that covers these topics. Also see if you can get a copy of Tom Kyte's book "Expert one-on-one Oracle" and read it. Tom goes into this in some detail.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu