Re: Multi-language in one Database

From: Richard <qaz1521_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 19:47:21 +0100

I've never used it myself, but I believe there is a facility to return dates and error messages in a user specified language. Users define an environment variable called NLS_LANG on their client. For example, mine is defined as 'ENGLISH_UNITED KINGDOM.AL32UTF8'. The ENGLISH part means I want to see error messages displayed in English. A client in France might set NLS_LANG='FRENCH_FRANCE.UTF8' to get error messages in French and so on.

I think the NLS_LANG data is sent to the server when the initial connection is made. It must be stored somewhere so if you could extract the language value, you would know how data would be displayed.

I've also seen something called 'Translation Hub' that is supplied with the Forms developer. I'm afraid I don't know anything about it though.

Good luck,

Richard

"Zixiong WANG" <z.wang_at_sysium.com> wrote in message news:1064226853.614576_at_teheran.magic.fr...
> Hi,
>
> Is there in Oracle any native support of multi-language :
> With a same SQL query, I would like to retrieve the same data in a given
> language just by defining a language variable (or something like that) ?
for