Re: Problem with linux

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_nospamtelusplanet.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 15:21:14 GMT

adu143 wrote:

> hi,
>
> have newly loaded RedHat Linux 9 on my system along with Windows
> 2000 proffessonal. I have lots of doubts and queries regarding the OS
> and its usages. However initially i want to know y the system bcomes
> damn slow with linux? System Configeration: Memory is 64M and the
> Hard Disk partition space is 4 GB. P III processor.
>
> Can anybody pls tell me how can I improve the system and slowly
> migrate from windows to Linux for day to day usage?

If you are using X to provide a GUI, you seriously need to consider adding memory (and possibly a faster CPU) to get any decent performance. I recommend an absolute minimum of 128MB RAM with a preferred minimum of 256MB.

Note this is NOT a Linux problem as Linux will happily run with decent performance at 64MB and possibly 48MB. You are seeing a symptom of 'abused-X (AKA too-much-GUI) syndrome'.

If you are planning on adding Oracle to the mix (after all, this is an Oracle newsgroup), you need to consider at least 512MB memory and seriously think about 1GB RAM. Received on Mon Sep 22 2003 - 10:21:14 CDT