Re: Need help with indexes

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 08:44:40 -0700

Randy Harris wrote:

>I'm using 8.1.7 and am looking for some advice on creating indexes.
>
>A table includes columns A and B. I expect to use both fields in WHERE
>clauses and ORDER BY clauses so I would like indexes on both of them. The
>SELECT statements will likely use one or the other but not both, however I
>need the (A,B) combination to be UNIQUE.
>
>I thought:
>
>Create INDEX on A (not unique)
>Create INDEX on B (not unique)
>Create UNIQUE CONSTRAINT on (A,B)
>
>It won't let me do that.
>
>Will simply creating a unique index on (A,B) do what I want if I only use
>one field or the other in SELECT statements?
>
>Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Patch to level 4 if you aren't already there and build a unique constraint on either AB or BA depending on how you think the resulting index will be most-often used. Then, if required add an index on B or A though I would expect you wouldn't need to do so.

Information on cardinality and the percentage of rows your query is expected to return would be helpful too.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu