Re: Student Looking for 9iR2 Personal Edition

From: <sybrandb_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 19 Sep 2003 04:02:34 -0700

makbo <makbo_at_pacbell.net> wrote in message news:<3F6A4463.9090703_at_pacbell.net>...
> Daniel Morgan wrote:
>
> >> Daniel Morgan wrote:
> >> [...]
> >>>

> Sorry, I took some guesses at what you meant by "obsolete". Let me ask,
> then: can you elaborate on your phrase "the verge of being obsolete".
>
> For example, I have heard that Advanced Replication, while fully
> supported, is considered dead from Oracle's viewpoint, in favor of
> streams-based replication (in 9i). So by my definition, this feature is
> on the verge of being obsolete.
>
> Having just upgraded my company's DB's to 9i earlier this year, is there
> a compelling reason (obsolescence or otherwise) why I'd want to try to
> sell management on an upgrade to 10g (or whatever it is that is making
> 9i on the verge...) in the next twelve months?
>
> Thanx, Mark Bole

1 9.0.2 is the terminal release of 9i
2 so they will only release patches in the feature 3 If you would query the desupport notice on Metalink you'll probably find out 9i is going to be supported for several years. The rule is, IIRC, 2 or 3 years after the terminal release 4 Daniel Morgan is for once, imo, incorrect

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Fri Sep 19 2003 - 06:02:34 CDT