bulk collect in pl/sql

From: Andrew <andyho99_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 18 Sep 2003 22:36:31 -0700

I wrote a program that reads a table with a million plus rows and writes to another table. I understand that use SQL is the fatest way to do this. However, I need to keep track what records fail and implement some logic. So, I have to use pl/sql to do this. I tried to use bulk collect within cursor to improve performance (maybe set a limit to 100 rows a time). However, I was told by an expert not to do this because this database need to be up 24 by 7. Is that right? I did a quick check in the manual and I could not find any restrictions like that. I only saw the restrictions like 'run the program in the server side not the client side', etc.

Did I miss something in the manual??? I thought it'll only reduce burden for Oracle datebase engine. Thanks. Received on Fri Sep 19 2003 - 00:36:31 CDT