Re: Search inside a long raw field

From: Alan <alan_at_erols.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 14:39:19 -0400

You can't search a LONG. Don't add additional varchar2 fields, either, as that is not correct relational design. What you can do is add another table called something like REMARKS. There would be four fields (in pseudo code):

CREATE TABLE remarks
(
remark_number NUMBER, --(PK) use a sequence parent_id NUMBER, -- (FK) use the appropriate column name and data type from the "parent" table
remark_entry_date, DATE DEFAULT SYSDATE-- date and time stamp remark VARCHAR2(4000)
)
;

Create the appropriate constraints, etc. Remove remarks from your original table. All remarks go in this table. Your app would have to be coded to place the FK and remark in the table.