Re: sql query - easy problem

From: Christoph Purrucker <gugi_at_bigfoot.de>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 17:47:44 +0200

"Daniel Morgan" wrote:
> You need to pay attention to the comment "Bad idea."

I paid. My comment was: I didn't create that file. I got the file beeing told: "Get the data out here."

> The problem is your design. There is, at most, a
> vanishingly small number of reasons why anyone would
> put together a table such as you have.

I know. The SLQ statement, I want to figure out here, is reading this bad thing and writing it to a well designed/normalized database...

> Change

> PRO P DATU DATX DATY
> --- - ---- ---- ----
> aaa z 2003 2003 2000
> bbb z 2002 2001 2002
> ccc x 2003 2002 2001

> PRO TYPE P DATU
> --- ---- - ----
> aaa U z 2003
> aaa X z 2003
> aaa Y z 2000
> bbb U z 2002
> bbb X z 2001
> bbb Y z 2002
> ccc U x 2003
> ccc X x 2002
> ccc Y x 2001

I think, I should not ask for an elegant solution here, since the source is bad, right?

> Think vertically not horizontally.

I A D I P
  L O F O

  W     S
  A     S
  Y     I
  S     B

Regards,

cp Received on Wed Sep 17 2003 - 10:47:44 CDT