Re: Migration Issue

From: Turkbear <john.greco_at_dot.state.mn.us>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 12:50:33 -0500

Richard Crawford <rcrawford.cow_at_remove_herbivore.unexmail.ucdavis.edu> wrote:

>Forgive my newbie status. I've got a few books and many webpages
>bookmarked, but I haven't found an answer to this question.
>
>I'm migrating our SQL Server database to Oracle (by hand!), and
>currently attempting to convert a table which contains a column with a
>SS7 datatype called "uniqueidentifier" with the property ROWGUIDCOL. As
>far as I can tell, this means that the column will contain a value which
>is unique in the database -- no other row in any other table in the
>database will have the same value.
>
>Is there similar functionality in Oracle? How do I describe the
>equivalent table in Oracle?

Look in your sources ( books or sites) for the use of Oracle Sequences..

They will do what you want..

If you haven't visited and registered with Oracle's technet site, do so.. It has docs, etc as well as a wealth of Oracle related info ( and software)

http://otn.oracle.com   Received on Tue Sep 16 2003 - 12:50:33 CDT