Re: Bulk insert question

From: Fredrik Wahlgren <fredrik.p.wahlgren_at_mailbox.swipnet.se>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 09:05:17 +0200

"Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.nospam.demon.nl> wrote in message news:vmcc5rj73np81c_at_corp.supernews.com...

> "Fredrik Wahlgren" <fredrik.p.wahlgren_at_mailbox.swipnet.se> wrote in
message
> > Hi
> >
> > I have a server application in which I need to insert lots of rows into
> > table. In SQL Server I use the BULK INSERT command. It looks like this
> >
> > BULK INSERT MyUser.[MyTable] FROM 'C:\MyFile.txt' WITH (FIELDTERMINATOR
=
> > '|',ROWTERMINATOR = '\r\n')
> > ¨
> > This is much faster than having to do lots of INSERT statments. How can
> do
> > something similar in Oracle? I understand I can start SQL loader and
have
> it
> > do the insert but that seems rather complicated. Surely there must be a
> > better way, right?
> >
> > My application is written in C++ and I use ADO. Would I be better off
> using
> > OCI?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Fredrik
> >

> Don't know why sqlloader is complicated. If you are prepared to do a
little
> reading, it is very easy to use, it does bulk inserts automatically, and
it
> can insert your data without transaction logging.
> OTOH, in OCI you would have to program your bulk insert, called array
insert
> *yourself*
> Talking about complicated.
> BTW: You don't need to use OCI, you have Oracle Objects for OLE which is
an
> ADO like *native* interface to Oracle.
> Please stop assuming Oracle is sqlserver sold by a different vendor. It is
> not, it is much more and it works.
> You only need to do a little reading. Yeah I know Microsofties can only
> click buttons.
>

> --
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA
>
> to reply remove '-verwijderdit' from my e-mail address

Hi

Well, I actually prefer Oracle over Sql Server. It's just that I have this test database on SQl Server and I have completed that part. I spent lot of time making a dynamic query and Oracle responds *much* better to it than SQL Server.

I don't think SQL Loader is complicated if you call it yourself. Calling it from C++ is a different story. I guess this means I can't avoid the shell window from appearing, can I ? Do you know where I can find some piece of sample code?

Regards,

Fredrik Received on Mon Sep 15 2003 - 02:05:17 CDT