Re: Bulk insert question

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.nospam.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 23:29:41 +0200

"Fredrik Wahlgren" <fredrik.p.wahlgren_at_mailbox.swipnet.se> wrote in message news:3vp9b.102808$zL.472_at_news1.bredband.com...
> Hi
>
> I have a server application in which I need to insert lots of rows into a
> table. In SQL Server I use the BULK INSERT command. It looks like this
>
> BULK INSERT MyUser.[MyTable] FROM 'C:\MyFile.txt' WITH (FIELDTERMINATOR =
> '|',ROWTERMINATOR = '\r\n')
> ¨
> This is much faster than having to do lots of INSERT statments. How can I
do
> something similar in Oracle? I understand I can start SQL loader and have
it
> do the insert but that seems rather complicated. Surely there must be a
> better way, right?
>
> My application is written in C++ and I use ADO. Would I be better off
using
> OCI?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Fredrik

Don't know why sqlloader is complicated. If you are prepared to do a little reading, it is very easy to use, it does bulk inserts automatically, and it can insert your data without transaction logging. OTOH, in OCI you would have to program your bulk insert, called array insert *yourself*
Talking about complicated.
BTW: You don't need to use OCI, you have Oracle Objects for OLE which is an ADO like *native* interface to Oracle.
Please stop assuming Oracle is sqlserver sold by a different vendor. It is not, it is much more and it works.
You only need to do a little reading. Yeah I know Microsofties can only click buttons.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA