Re: advice on current market database consulting rates

From: pheonix1t <dangeru98dousdt_at_ATsbcglobal.DOTnet>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 00:13:46 GMT

Daniel Morgan wrote:

> pheonix1t wrote:
>

>> hello,
>> I'm located in houston but also do work in other states when required.
>> What are the typical consulting rates for doing oracle work in the
>> southwest area of the country? The figure I've been quoted was $125
>> per hour. (at least in the houston area). But I just want to confirm
>> this with a broader spectrum of people.
>> Also, what are current for "fair" rates for microsoft access/sql
>> consulting. I'm assuming access would be less than sql, but ms-sql
>> would be around the same as oracle? Last summer I got $95 per hour
>> for an Access project...but that was last summer! Has the market
>> changed a lot since then? Basically..should I adjust my rates?
>> My friend in nyc said the consulting firm he works at bills out at
>> $175 per hour...but that is in NYC.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Oskar
>>
>> ps. Also, on longer projects (400 hours, for example), what are good
>> rates to go down to? For example, if you got a $20k project, would
>> going down to $75 per hour be prudent? Of course, it's best to just
>> stay as high as possible, but today it's hard to get that anymore.
>>
> What are you smoking? $95/hr. for MS Access? Perhaps I should rephrase
> my question. What were they smoking? And where can I get some for my
> clients? If you can get half of that in Seattle for MS Access you should
> laugh all the way to the bank.
>
> The other rates you quote are possible but without a clue as to your
> skills and experience I wouldn't pay you minimum wage. What do you bring
> to the table?

myself: I'm an NYU graduate, info. systems. 12 years experience, operating systems (hpux, solaris, windows (9x, NT, 2k), linux (suse, redhat), oracle 7.3, 8/9i, ms-access/sql (7/2k). scripting (unix and windows). Heavy mail server experience (unix and windows). My "weak spot" is development.

my friend who works with me: princeton graduate (originally law, but changed to Comp. Science), 20 years of experience, same skill-set as me...but add ibm db2, java, heavy development experience with windows and unix (vb, asp, java, .net, cold-fusion). Also cisco IOS. He's what I aspire to!

so....I have to lower the rates for access, and probably sql server. oracle can also be lowered a bit but still stick around 100? Around houston a lot of the "consultant" shops charge 125 for work that doesn't include programming (just technical work - cisco, windows, etc)! I do it for 75 and we've been pretty busy. (but we are new...5 years in business, 2 in houston, 5 in nyc) I just want to get a good idea for making long term "package" deals/maintenance contracts for data centers.   We've built up a very good client base for references....now I want to go higher up the scale. We want to start marketing to companies that have good sized data centers.
fyi, any web development work is passed off to a friend's consulting company that specializes in this stuff....based in nyc, they have a team of 6.
Also, what is good way to get sales lists/leads for companies with enterprise class databases? I've been going to chambers of commerce and BNI meetings....this has brought in work so far, but it's very time consuming to get business from a chamber of commerce membership. Just wondering if there is a quicker way....

thank you!!

Oskar