Re: advice on current market database consulting rates

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 16:25:29 -0700

pheonix1t wrote:

> hello,
> I'm located in houston but also do work in other states when required.
> What are the typical consulting rates for doing oracle work in the
> southwest area of the country? The figure I've been quoted was $125
> per hour. (at least in the houston area). But I just want to confirm
> this with a broader spectrum of people.
> Also, what are current for "fair" rates for microsoft access/sql
> consulting. I'm assuming access would be less than sql, but ms-sql
> would be around the same as oracle? Last summer I got $95 per hour
> for an Access project...but that was last summer! Has the market
> changed a lot since then? Basically..should I adjust my rates?
> My friend in nyc said the consulting firm he works at bills out at
> $175 per hour...but that is in NYC.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Oskar
>
> ps. Also, on longer projects (400 hours, for example), what are good
> rates to go down to? For example, if you got a $20k project, would
> going down to $75 per hour be prudent? Of course, it's best to just
> stay as high as possible, but today it's hard to get that anymore.

What are you smoking? $95/hr. for MS Access? Perhaps I should rephrase my question. What were they smoking? And where can I get some for my clients? If you can get half of that in Seattle for MS Access you should laugh all the way to the bank.

The other rates you quote are possible but without a clue as to your skills and experience I wouldn't pay you minimum wage. What do you bring to the table?

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu