Re: ORA-01654

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 16:54:58 -0700

jeff wrote:

>I am getting the message ORA-01654: unable to extend index
>VAR.VARINDEX_INSTRUMENTPNL_2 by 138254 in tablespace INDEXES when
>inserting rows in my table. My DBA tells me that I have more than
>enough free space. Is there anything else he can look at (I dont have
>a lot of faith in his ability.) Any other ideas would be great.

What's wrong with your DBA that this person can't tell you how to resolve the problem?

Obviously, as indicated by others, you don't have enough usable free space.

The best solution is to create a new tablespace, locally managed with uniform extents, and rebuild all indexes into that new tablespace. Then drop the old one. Likely this DBA is presiding over a fragmented dictionary managed mess that would be far more efficient, and faster, is properly configured and tuned.

After you have rebuilt all the indexes ... send your DBA out for training. We have a great program at the University of Washington. ;-)

And, in the future, be sure to post the Oracle version.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu