Re: ORA-01654

From: Richard <qaz1521_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 19:51:04 +0100

Could free space fragmentation be the problem?

I've seen this happen when there is plenty of free space available but none of the fragments are large enough to accommodate the next extent. This can happen if there is a lot of deletion going on in the relevant tablespace. Space in the data files gets fragmented over time just like space on a disk drive.

The problem can be resolved using the exp tool with the compress extents option.

Best wishes,

Richard