Re: Oracle DB Design Question

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 07:51:20 -0700

no-spam wrote:

>We are setting up a Oracle database to host our finance system.
>I have couple of question re its design
>
>I know oracle can stripe the data files for performance and
>redundancy. Will I get better performance from this than simple
>hardware RAID ?
>
>Is there any recommendation from Oracle on what percentage of RAM can
>be allocated to SGA without making the OS do swapping ?

Please unlearn what you think you know. Oracle can NOT stripe anything. In many cases SAME (Stripe And Mirror Everything) will provide the best performance. Though you should not hardware mirror redo logs. And raw devices add even more horsepower. But this is not true in all cases. If you have the appropriate software for striping (either as part of the O/S package or something like Veritas, I'd say the odds are with you if you do it.

Throwing more RAM at Oracle does not equate with increased performance. If it did tuning could be done by gerbils. Start off at about 30% and after that you need to inject a healthy dose of trial-and-error.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu