Re: Allowing Oracle transactions to span client processes

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 4 Sep 2003 23:27:16 -0700

ben_ml_at_hotmail.com (Ben) wrote

> I want to be able to do work on the database from multiple processes
> and have them all commit as a single transaction.
<snipped>
> I'm hoping that the Oracle RDMS has some nifty way of doing this
> (we're currently using 8.1.7 but we'll soon be on 9)?

Ben, I do think there is an Oracle feature that you can use to do this - Oracle Workspace.

Basically, all the apps work in the same workspace commiting and changing data the standard transaction processing way.

Then when they all are done working with their version of the data, it can be merged with the live workspace (i.e. production data), making all those changes as a "single transaction" on live.

It may not be as pure as a transaction manager (if you have to deal with manually resolving of conflicts when merging the workspace into live), but it is a damn site cheaper and IMO can even be an easy & clean implementation.

Only con I can think of is that this is not an 8i feature and will require you to go to 9i. (which is a Good Thing (tm) anyway ;-)

--
Billy