Re: Annual Oracle World Database Survey

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 4 Sep 2003 23:10:06 -0700

Mark Townsend <markbtownsend_at_attbi.com> wrote in

> If guilty of anything, I'm only guilty of wanting to get a better
> representative sample - i.e replies from people that use Oracle but will
> never get to attend Oracle World in San Francisco. Having spent the
> first 35 years of my life not being blessed by living and working in the
> USA, I happen to think that this is important. However, if anybody else
> feels that the survey is inappropriate, just a poor excuse at stripping
> email ids, and/or is inherently broken, then by all means simply ignore
> it. And, if requested, I will withdraw the link totally from OTN.

Yeah well no fine.. don't let it bug you too much Mark. Some people are just naturally born suspicious bastards. :-)

Personally I think it is great to get grassroot responses. And I especially like the 'Looking Ahead' part.

I agree though with Daniel. The only problem I have with the survey is that it is very difficult to provide an accurate representative answer. Which DB do I choose? The batch one with 1 or maybe two interactive users? The on-line one with 10,000+ users? The data warehouse ones? Etc. The survey will give you a taste, but is IMO not indicative of what meal we're having.

Even so - form submitted and I'm looking forward to better Linux support and my command line interface to OEM. ;-)

--
Billy