Re: OCI: How to insert BLOB?

From: Amit <jindal_at_roguewave.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 13:30:21 -0600

Returning clause does works especially prior to Oracle 9. However 'returning' SQL construct has some disadvantages and AFAIK it is not a recommended choice for Oracle 9i onwards. For one, you cannot send data to a stored proc. You can with OCILobLocator. Further with returning clause you need to do two step execution. In that case, your table integrity is not consistent because in first execution you have just inserted EMPTY_CLOB which refers to a temporary buffer area. Suppose before you have send the data, another thread tries to read the data?
This is not a problem with OCILobLocator.

Amit Jindal, Development Engineer

Want ease of development or performance? Why not get both! http://www.roguewave.com/products/sourcepro/db/

[Disclaimer: All views expressed here are my personal views and they can be incorrect at times]