about "alert_SID.log" file

From: Gary <rooty_hill2002_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 2 Sep 2003 17:55:22 -0700

Hi, guys!

I am a newbie. I am using 9.2.0.3 on HP-UX 11i. I know I need to do some housekeeping work for my alert_sid.log files regularly. I am just not sure whether I have done the correct things.

For database "odmdev", my background_dump_dest =
'$ORACLE_HOME/admin/odmdev/bdump'. I didn't set user_dump_dest (maybe
should have), so Oracle uses default value '$ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/log'.

Last monday, I removed the existing BIG alert_odmdev.log to some archive folder and I expected Oracle would create new alert_odmdev.log and that file will grow. It didn't. Instead, I found an "alert_odmdev.log" file in $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/log. Two things are troubling me:

  1. The log file in '$ORALCE_HOME/rdbms/log' was created before I removed the previous log file from '$ORACLE_HOME/admin/odmdev/bdump', this seems like we had two "alert_odmdev.log" in different places before I removed the one from 'ORACLE_HOME/admin/odmdev'. Is it normal? Since it happened to be in the default user_dump_dest, does this mean the one in '$ORALCE_HOME/rdbms/log' was created by RMAN as a user? (he uses Oracle supplied scripts using RMAN for running a backup of a NOARCHIVELOG database, which run the following commands for an incremental backup. log in as "sqlplus /). I changed the user_dump_dest to be '$ORACLE_HOME/admin/odmdev/udump', if the log is created by RMAN, hopefully tomorrow I can find a log file there.
  2. The last message in the log file in '$ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/log' was one week BEFORE I removed the log file from
    '$ORACLE_HOME/admin/odmdev/bdump'. In the mean time we don't have any
    log file for this database in '$ORACLE_HOME/admin/odmdev/bdump', so virtually I lost all the log info for this database after I removed the log file in '$ORALCE_HOME/admin/odmdev/bdump'. I started-up the database, did something then shutdown and then still I could not find anything about it in the log in '$ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/log'.

Any ideas about where the valid log goes in this case?

Thanks,

Gary Received on Tue Sep 02 2003 - 19:55:22 CDT