Changing transactional capabilities of a remote HS database

From: Chris Reigrut <chris_at_teravation.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 10:15:03 -0600

I have a proprietary database to which I'd like to connect via HS Generic Connectivity using their OLEDB interface. Unfortunately, their OLEDB is EXTREMELY primitive, supporting SELECT and nothing else. Specifically, it doesn't support any form of transactional behaviour.

What I have found is that I can query the table if I have SET TRANSACTION READ ONLY. If I don't, I get the following.

ORA-28500: connection from ORACLE to a non-Oracle system returned this message: [Generic Connectivity Using OLEDB_SQL][S1000] [9013]General error in nvITrans_BeginT - rc = -1. Please refer to the log file for details. ORA-02063: preceding 2 lines from IHIST

Unfortunately, trying to specifically set the transaction level every time is a bit cumbersome. I've looked at HS_CLASS_CAPS, et al, I haven't been able to find any way to tell Oracle that the remote database doesn't understand transactions (or inserts, updates, deletes...). Nor have I found any way to limit the database link, the individual tables or even set up a user who can't perform transactions.

Any thoughts? Received on Tue Sep 02 2003 - 11:15:03 CDT