Re: Avoiding any locks in SQL Servers - read and understand....itsmagic.

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne_at_acm.org>
Date: 2 Sep 2003 00:58:23 GMT

After a long battle with technology,wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au (Noons), an earthling, wrote:
>> To avoid deadlocks, transactions are simply dropped. So, any writing
>> transaction into postgresql should be read again.
>
> That will come in useful for updating bank accounts:
> "transactions are simply dropped"?

If a deadlock is detected, I can't see any option particularly better than rolling the transaction back, and having the client try again later.

ATM machines /do/ do things like that, albeit normally as a result of hardware or network problems, as opposed to transaction deadlocks.

--
(format nil "~S@~S" "aa454" "freenet.carleton.ca")
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/rdbms.html