Re: SQL Loader Control file

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 29 Aug 2003 14:09:32 -0700

starigopula <member37340_at_dbforums.com> wrote in message news:<3302214.1062151089_at_dbforums.com>...
> Originally posted by Rauf Sarwar
>
> > No. More importantly, what would be the purpose of specifying multiple
> > kinds of delimiters in a delimited file?
>

> > Keep it simple... just use "Edit - Replace" in your notepad and
> > replace all delimiters to one kind.
>

> > Regards
>
> > /Rauf
>

> We have about 200 files that we plan load on a nightly basis. Multiple
> clients send us data files nightly. While we can enforce field
> names/definitions, some clients are willing to send only pipe-delimited
> while others willing to send only "comma-delimited" files.
>

> Our choices are to have control files based on clients ( maintenance
> nightmare) (or) have a process that cleans the data (replace the
> delimeter with a standard delimeter) like you suggested.
>

> I was wondering if there would be something like
>
> FIELDS TERMINATED BY ('|',','.............)
>

> Any advise...Thanks for your help..........

If you are on unix, just pre-clean the pipe-d' files with sed - I think the syntax is sed "s/\|/,/g" < yourfile > newfile (assuming you don't have data with pipes in it!). If you are not on unix, you can probably find cheap or free unix-like tools with a quick search of the net, or use perl, which might be on your system with some Oracle products like 9iAS or can be found on the net.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Fair and Balanced Usenet Posting.