Re: Object Table

From: andrewst <member14183_at_dbforums.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 06:34:04 -0400

Originally posted by Ryan Gaffuri

> ive seen some posts stating that you can significant performance

> improvements by using object views or object tables when using an OO

> front end such as java or .net. I havent tested this.

> I know that some people in ODTUG circles are using object views to

> make it easier to map an OO front end to a relational backend. They

> claim its easier and more fluid to design and maintain.

> anyone have any comments on this? Im on my second .Net front end

> project and in neither case have we done this.

Object views are a great interface between OO applications and relational databases. The advantage to the OO programmer is that you can get an order and all its lines in one fetch (by mapping the order lines to a nested table column within the view), and similarly write data back that way. The advantage to the database designer (and to the business) is that the data is held in normalised relational tables that facilitate queries and is not compromised by an application-centric view of the data.

I am relieved to hear that some enlightened people are actually doing this. Too often I just hear the nonsense that data should be STORED in OO tables to save the "20-30% of development effort" required to build the interface (object views etc.). This view assumes that the database has no other purpose beyond "persisting" objects when the OO application isn't running, and that no one will ever need to access the data other than through a module in that application. Just like the situation BEFORE relational databases were invented...