Re: Avoiding any locks in SQL Servers - read and understand....itsmagic.

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 15:31:29 -0700

Joel Garry wrote:

> <snipped>
>
> The whole need for locking stems from
> this. With multiversioning, you defer the issue until later, when of
> course, it is too late.

I worked on a system at Boeing back with Oracle 7.3.4 where we routinely logged more than 10,000 simultaneous users on a single table. Never had a problem and my colleagues tell me the system is still doing just fine. And this is, by current standards, a very small system. Most banking systems, the systems run by American Express, Visa, MasterCard, and Amazon.com are substantially larger.

'Too late' is only an issue if you don't design well. And MVCC works just fine with all of these.

When you find a system with a larger transaction volume than that at American Express ... that Oracle couldn't handle ... let me know. Please.

--
Daniel Morgan
http://www.outreach.washington.edu/extinfo/certprog/aoa/aoa_main.asp