Re: Avoiding any locks in SQL Servers - read and understand....itsmagic.

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 26 Aug 2003 14:09:30 -0700

"Noons" <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:<3f46c820$0$10360$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...
> "Guido Stepken" <g.stepken_at_t-online.de> wrote in message news:bi68ai$9oj$05$1_at_news.t-online.com...
>
> > clustering, is very fast....i didn't know that DEC has invented
> > versioning, thanx....
>
> They didn't. Sperry Univac had OS supported versioning in Exec8/OS1100
> since 1968. DEC used a very similar scheme to support versioning
> at file level, storing only the changes between versions rather
> than the whole new data. But they never implemented the full
> functionality of versioning available in OS1100. I think DEC invented
> clustering. As it is understood today. Not sure, though. IBM
> might have some claims there with their shared-DASDI.

I had written "a pioneer," (as opposed to "the pioneer") but since I take it Guido isn't a native English speaker, I think that is an understandable mistake. Some of his other errors are not so trivial.

> > I don't think, that oracle's locking strategy is so muc advanced, since
> > no two transactions can write into a database at the same time ....
>
> I beg your pardon? Where on Earth did you get this rubbish?
> Do NOT confuse "database" with "data row"! In Oracle, you can have
> as many transactions as you want simultaneously writing into a
> database and have been able to do so since Version 1! The only thing
> you cannot have is two concurrent and active transactions write to
> the same row. Amazing the rubbish that gets spread as "information"...

I got the gist that he meant data row here. And I think this is definitely where he screws up. The whole need for locking stems from this. With multiversioning, you defer the issue until later, when of course, it is too late.

> > Did you know, that with many API's (PHP...) you cannot separate several
> > sql statements by semicolon ? Only one statement is allowed, one
> > resultset you can receive. You have to put 2+ statements into a stored
> > procedure to get them executed.
>
> Thats is true for MOST api's, in fact.

Total http://www.redherring.com .

jg