Re: licensing question

From: Michael Lackey <mlackey_at_illuminet.com>
Date: 26 Aug 2003 13:54:43 -0700

TurkBear <john.greco_at_dot.state.mn.us> wrote in message news:<3er4kvkrgpkus5mjasd0lc08jq49pn7ucr_at_4ax.com>...
> maxfriendly_at_yahoo.com.ar (Max) wrote:
>
> >It is a bit difficult to find out the least expensive license scenario
> >since some always try confuse the buyer and make a big sale.
> >
> >I am trying to find out wich licenses do I need for three types of
> >users.
> >I will really appreciate any help with this.
> >
> >User A:
> >A developer that uses Oracle Forms, Oracle Reports and
> >connects to the database engine.
> >
> >User B:
> >An end user that uses Oracle Forms Runtime,
> >Oracle Reports Runtime and
> >connects to the database engine.
> >

> >User C:
> >A remote end user that uses the Internet Explorer
> >to access an Oracle Forms application via web and
> >connects to the database engine.
> >
> >Thanks a lot,
> >Max
>
> The license only applies to the Database - it is not related to how the client connects .
> Basically it will depend on how many users will connect ( the choice is between named user and Processor based licensing)
> If the Number of named users * named_userprice is => Processorlicenseprice ( @35000, but negotiable to some degree) then
> Processor would be the way to go..it will allow for easier management..

Two types of RDBMS license I am familiar with 1) named user or 2) CPU based. Only your oracle sales rep can keep track of the latest changes in how they are licensed. Just to give you an idea:

With named user you purchase at least 25 seats per CPU the instance is running on. For a 2 CPU box you buy at least 50. All boxes must be licensed at some point, even development or QA especially if they are used to support a product in production. This is usually the cheapest way to license dev/QA boxes as long as you have less than 50 users.

Some companies may by a user seat for each person in the company for example 1000 seats. Take 1000/25 and thats how many CPUs you can run oracle databases on. Once all are allocated to CPUs, or you really have more than 1000 actual users, oracle would expect additional licensing.

If you have a lot of users or want unlimited users you can purchase a CPU license. I think list is about $35-40K per CPU so a 2 CPU box would be $70-80K.

Forms and Reports are licensed seperately and you can buy development licenses faily reasonable, but I believe production deployment from 9i on requires 9iAS though they may still sell individually.

I believe in all licensing, oracle dosn't care about the kind of CPU so running on a large UNIX box or an NT box will be the same license cost per CPU.

Not a poor man's database. Received on Tue Aug 26 2003 - 15:54:43 CDT