Re: Oracle Client & Licensing

From: TurkBear <john.greco_at_dot.state.mn.us>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 08:59:14 -0500

YMVZJIKGFRIG_at_spammotel.com (Chris) wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>Don't know if this is a technical or just a licensing question (or
>both). I have written an Oracle scanner that is right now using the
>Oracle Client to access the database. Usually, I have to scan several
>databases and I don't see any reason for getting a license for each
>database, since I am not going to work with the database.
>
>Or is there any alternative to this? Maybe a different licensing
>scheme or just a different client or way of accesseing the database?
>
>Can anyone please enlighten me?
>
>Thank you very much!
>
>- Chris

Clients are not really licensed, the database is - so, if the database is licensed thru the processor method, no additional licenses are need no matter how, or how many, users connect to it. If, however, it is licensed on a Named-User basis, then you would need to use a pre-authorized username to connect, but still no license issues on your part, just the DBAs... Received on Tue Aug 26 2003 - 08:59:14 CDT