Re: Oracle Cobol pre-compiler - Why is the comp5 option on HP not implemented?

From: Frederico Fonseca <real-email-in-msg-spam_at_email.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 23:45:33 +0100

On 25 Aug 2003 14:49:25 -0700, Michael.Burden_at_CGEY.COM (Michael Burden) wrote:

>So why has Oracle not implemented this feature on HP and made it
>platform specific?

>The reason I need it is because we build our software libraries on HP
>but we often use WINXX clients to test the programs using MF COBOL. To
>make life easier it would be nice to use the UNIX build on WINXX
>platforms using NFS or samba. As MF COBOL makes the semi-precompiled
>files compatible across platforms this is feasible. However, I'm
>having trouble implementing this mechanism because Oracle has not
>implement the feature known as comp5 on HP. The silly thing is I can,
>by amending the SQLCA etc to use COMP5, get the process to work but
>this means I have to frig it and so is not the best solution. It also
>relies on the fact the only issue I have found so far is the SQLCA.
>Really all COMP fields should be converted to COMP5 which is what the
>precompiler does if it has the comp5 feature.
>
>My point is surely this is such a noddy feature why make it platform
>specific and give yourself more work. If it doesn't work on a platform
>then the compiler will not accept the feature and it's the compiler
>that does the hard work anyway.

Unless I am wrong on my idea of how MF deals with variables defined on a ".int" you can acomplish what you need by adding the following line to each program (top of program unless you have a "replace off" instruction on the programs.

REPLACE == COMP == BY == COMP-5 ==

or by using the MAKESYN directive as
MAKESYN "COMP" = "COMP-5";
(available on NET EXPRESS)

This should work, as COMP and COMP-5 are exactly the same on HP.

Try it and see if it works as expected.

Frederico Fonseca
ema il: frederico_fonseca at syssoft-int.com Received on Mon Aug 25 2003 - 17:45:33 CDT