Oracle Cobol pre-compiler - Why is the comp5 option on HP not implemented?

From: Michael Burden <Michael.Burden_at_CGEY.COM>
Date: 25 Aug 2003 14:49:25 -0700

So why has Oracle not implemented this feature on HP and made it platform specific?
The reason I need it is because we build our software libraries on HP but we often use WINXX clients to test the programs using MF COBOL. To make life easier it would be nice to use the UNIX build on WINXX platforms using NFS or samba. As MF COBOL makes the semi-precompiled files compatible across platforms this is feasible. However, I'm having trouble implementing this mechanism because Oracle has not implement the feature known as comp5 on HP. The silly thing is I can, by amending the SQLCA etc to use COMP5, get the process to work but this means I have to frig it and so is not the best solution. It also relies on the fact the only issue I have found so far is the SQLCA. Really all COMP fields should be converted to COMP5 which is what the precompiler does if it has the comp5 feature.

My point is surely this is such a noddy feature why make it platform specific and give yourself more work. If it doesn't work on a platform then the compiler will not accept the feature and it's the compiler that does the hard work anyway. Received on Mon Aug 25 2003 - 16:49:25 CDT