Re: Trigger on shared tables

From: Stefan Rupp <st.rupp_at_t-online.de>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 10:06:58 +0200

Anurag,

Anurag Varma schrieb:
> Also remember: If you call an external procedure via a trigger .. and if the
> original transaction fails -
> Then whatever you do in that external procedure will not be rolled back. Be
> aware of that!
>
> This problem will be there in the dbms_alert also.
>
> Since I do not recall doing a transaction using an external procedure, I do
> not know of the pitfalls of
> using this method. Test Test Test...

All that proves your initial warning: it may be overkill.

> You can probably trigger a polling to be done using the trigger (i.e. send
> an async signal to the external procedure
> to poll the actual table .. and make that trigger to be after insert and
> statement level trigger)

That's almost what I had in mind in the first place. But with your (and Harald's) input I need to rethink again if a simple polling of the table   might be a better solution, since this requires much effort in testing (race conditions etc.). Polling is probably easier to implement (and test).

Thank you very much indeed for your help!

Stefan Received on Sat Aug 23 2003 - 03:06:58 CDT