Re: oracle: measurement in microseconds

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 12:41:00 +0100

"Pascal Ziegler" <pascal.ziegler_at_bluewin.ch> wrote in message news:3f45d567_at_news.swissonline.ch...
> Hi,
>
> I need to measure the duration of a pl/sql-function
> in microseconds. Do you know any possibility to do this
> measurement with oracle (9i)?

AFAIK this is not possible to do accurately. Certainly on systems that measure time to centi-second precision doing this would be somewhat problematic.

I'd hazard a guess that executing the function 100000 times and measuring the elapsed time and dividing by 100000 would be a good estimate though. My base question would be are you not requesting excessively accurate timings though. It reminds me of the property particulars we received once which specified the room dimensions to the nearest millimetre.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA