How to determine in PL/SQL if a user has a certain role?

From: Holger Peine <peine_at_iese.fraunhofer.de>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 08:45:46 +0200

Hello,

I need to determine if a certain user has a certain role in a PL/SQL procedure, something like

IF 'fred' HAS ROLE 'clerk' THEN ...

However, I cannot find a role operator (like the hypothetical HAS ROLE above) in the PL/SQL reference. What is the proper way to achieve my need?

Thanks for your advice,
Holger.

--
Dr. Holger Peine
Fraunhofer IESE, Kaiserslautern, Germany