Re: Oracle Tuning Question

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 21 Aug 2003 22:14:28 -0700

rc_at_die@you@!spammers.sandworm.demon.co.uk wrote

> We are implemeting a DB with apporx 5m records in it.

Small.

> Can some one tell me how I would go about monitoring that the
> DB_BLOCK_BUFFER; memory for sort area and shared memory pool (memory
> for SGA I think) and log buffer size is sufficient, or point me some
> urls
>
> I have no controler over the deisgn of the SQL queries as it is an off
> the shelf app designed for Oracle
>
> I basically want to tune the server for fast querie response, I am not
> too bothered about the Data input yet

First off, is there a performance problem? Have you identified it? Or are you imagining there might performance problems and planning to take pot shots in the dark in the hope of hitting something?

Secondly, have you read the Oracle8i Designing and Tuning for Performance manual?
__
Billy Received on Fri Aug 22 2003 - 00:14:28 CDT