Retrieving Element Names from XMLType

From: Henner Graubitz <graubitz_at_iti.cs.uni-magdeburg.de>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 10:40:01 +0200

Hi all,

we are running Oracle 9i and use the new XMLType for storing our XML files (currently without storing the corresponding DTD)

Is there a possibility (function) to retrieve all existing element names without an apriori known dtd.

Example:

Following XML File will be exported to Oracle (XMLType) without corresponding DTD, XSD, etc.:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<names>
<forname>Bill</forname>
<surname>Clinton</surname>
</names>

What am I searching for is something like:

Select elementNames from myTab;

and I retrieve:

/names/
/names/forname
/names/surname

Thanks for any advances, links, etc.

Henner Graubitz / Germany Received on Wed Aug 20 2003 - 03:40:01 CDT