Re: ODBC Drivers error

From: Thomas T <T_at_T>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 11:22:45 -0400

"Billy Verreynne" <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za> wrote in message news:1a75df45.0308180052.4a43413a_at_posting.google.com...
> Jose Vargas <member36033_at_dbforums.com> w
>
> > I am calling an oracle function from ASP, but i have the
> > following error:
> > [Microsoft][ODBC driver for Oracle][Oracle]ORA-06550: line 1, column 47:
> > PLS-00103: Encountered the symbol ">" when expecting one of the
> > following: ( - + case mod new not null others <an identifier> <a double-
> > quoted delimited-identifier> <a bind variable> avg count current exists
> > max min prior sql stddev sum variance execute forall merge time
> > timestamp interval date <a string literal with character set
> > specification> <a number> <a single-quoted SQL string> pipe The symbol
> > "null" was subs
>
> The error indicates that you are calling either a PL/SQL procedure or
> a PL/SQL anonymous block - and that this PL/SQL proc/block has syntax
> errors.
>
> Without seeing the actual PL/SQL procedure or block, we cannot say
> just where the error is, or how to fix.. except that is in line 1 @
> column 47 in that PL/SQL code that you are calling and that it
> contains a ">" character which Oracle deems as invalid in that
> specific line of PL/SQL code.
>
> But all this is already quite clearly stated (in plain English) in the
> error message you posted.. which I trust that you did read properly
> before posting for help here?
>
> --
> Billy

Correct; the errors that you have to worry about during connectivity between ASP and ODBC will have Microsoft error messages (large negative numbers, or hexadecimal numbers) associated with them; not Oracle error messages.

Use SQL*Plus to execute your pl/sql procedure; when it runs flawlessly, then you can try calling it from ASP. To run it in SQL Plus (if you don't know, or, if you do know, for those that don't), first declare your variables:

SQL> variable myout varchar2(10);

(Type variable on a line by itself to see your variables)

Then do:

SQL> exec my_procedure('my input data','more input data',:myout)

Notice the colon before the variable name. "exec" stands for execute; you can type the whole word out if you want. :) Same with variable; you can say "vari" instead.

To see what went into your output variable, do:

SQL> select :myout from dual;

Notice again that there's a colon before the variable name. Oh and don't forget about typing "show errors" after creating a pl/sql procedure thru sql*plus... I'd suggest dropping the old procedure, creating the new one, telling it to "show errors", and if there were no errors, try testing it as I just mentioned.

Good luck,

-Thomas Received on Tue Aug 19 2003 - 10:22:45 CDT