Re: Oracle object-oriented database objects - opinions

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 18 Aug 2003 14:05:47 -0700

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote in message news:<3F3ECB80.16A087F6_at_exxesolutions.com>...
> Joel Garry wrote:
>
> > <snipped>
> >
> > I think vendors like Oracle trying to lock customers into a db with
> > too much proprietariness are making the same mistake any other vendors
> > of propriety :-) have made in the past (with the possible exception of
> > IBM big iron).
> >
> > jg
> > --
> > @home.com is bogus.
> > Dang import.
>
> And you think Microsoft has suffered? ;-)
>
> We should all suffer as much as Gates, Ballmer, & Allen.

(Ignoring Allen's cancer, of course).

Well, it would be a mistake, except Gates, er, "genius" was to keep ahead of IP law, without getting whomped by Justice like IBM did a few decades ago, and Standard Oil a few decades before that. He managed to turn what could have been a mistake into a benefit. But he had to play dirty to do it.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
The V8 engine was invented and patented in France, 1902.