Re: Error for OCILogon2()

From: Matt <m_at_m.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 11:12:08 -0400

"Ana C. Dent" wrote:.
> Matt wrote:
> > Oracle 9.2.0.3, RH Linux 7.2.
> > My oci applicetion creates a connection pool at startup, then use
> > OCILogon2() to get a session. I'm trying to check OCILogon2()'s error to
> > determine if a logon failure caused by the database server (down/stoped,
> > network,..), then restart the appl to recreat the pool. I'm not sure
about
> > following errors on my hand, anymore errors apply to this scenario?
> > ORA-00107 failed to connect to ORACLE listener process
> > ORA-00130 invalid listener address 'string'
> > ORA-00132 syntax error or unresolved network name 'string'
>
> The most basic questions are -
>
> Has this ever worked?
> If so, what changed?
> If not, how/why are you sure all is setup correctly to allow it to work?
>
> Can you get a connection using SQL*Plus or some other client s/w
> using the same connections string? If not, why should OCI succeed?

My app works fine. What I need is the ora errors which indicte the db server is down no matter whatever the reason is, so I can cleanup my application and its running environment and restart my app, like this:

myapp start

create conn pool

wait for request

logon2() -- error??? -- server down? yes --> restart

normal...                      no. retry logon2() or send "busy" to clients

                                  wait for request